Volunteer with the English Conversation Program
Are you looking to get involved on campus? Want to make a difference while building important skills for personal and professional success? We are periodically recruiting student volunteers for our program. Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org.
QUIC’s English Conversation Program:
The Program supports diverse groups of Queen’s University international students, post-docs, research staff and their spouses/partners. Student volunteers meet international participants weekly to engage in language and cultural learning through English conversation in an upbeat small group environment.
Expected time commitment:
One term, 8 – 10 weekly meetings, 1 hour each.
How to apply – general instruction:
Send your resume and statement of interest from your Queen’s Email Address to QUIC@queensu.ca with the subject line ‘Volunteer in the ECP’. Make sure you include phone number, program and expected graduation, and any relevant experience (academic, extra-curricular, volunteer, and/or paid).
Why be a ECP Facilitator?
• Develop transferable skills such as proactive inclusive communication, active non-judgmental listening, feedback and encouragement, facilitation of learning
• Advance own intercultural competency
• Gain understanding of language use in relation to specific contexts
• Enjoy meeting people from different places of the world and develop international connections
• Positively contribute to Queen’s community by aiding the international student transition experience
What would be your tasks?
1. Support learners in their language and communication skills development (online or in-person)
2. Build a respectful, trusting and inclusive rapport with sessions’ attendees
3. Attend program orientation, training sessions and program meetings
4. Engage in planning of activities, share your ideas
5. Contribute to the team, work effectively with peers and supervisor
6. Participate in program feedback and surveys
7. Contribute to promotional materials, such as profiles, testimonials, videos
Who is the ECP looking for:
• Upper year students currently enrolled at Queen’s University
• Fluent in English with clear speech and strong communication skills
• Based on previous facilitation experience, able to effectively engage and encourage others while facilitating conversations
• Curious, open-minded and with appreciation of diversity and respect towards cultural differences
• Passion for intercultural learning and a desire to develop own intercultural competence
• Involved in Campus communities, clubs and/or associations
• Able to understand some of the challenges faced by international students experiencing new culture