Providers & Travel

In a Life-Threatening Emergency

If you need an ambulance, the police department, or the fire department, call 9-1-1 immediately.


In a Non-Emergency Situation

If you need health advice, please call Telehealth Ontario (1-866-797-0000). This service allows you to speak directly (and anonymously) to a registered nurse, 24 hours a day.


Preferred Providers

When you need to see a doctor in Ontario:

  • Have your printed UHIP card with you. Find out how you will get your card
    • Without this, you will be billed directly when services are provided. You can seek reimbursement by filing a claim
  • Visit a preferred provider (specific clinics/hospitals in your location) when possible to minimize costs to you. Alternate locations can bill higher rates, leaving you to absorb the difference in costs
    • Visit a clinic for routine care (non-emergencies)
    • Visit a hospital for emergency care
  • See Paying Out of Pocket for forms and direction

If you visit other clinics/hospitals or cannot provide your printed proof of coverage (UHIP) card, you will be billed at the time of the appointment and may not be reimbursed the full amount, based on the billing practices of the provider. Review UHIP coverage and the responsibility of paying for overages.

See Paying Out of Pocket for directions on how to be reimbursed for costs incurred.

Preferred Providers in Kingston 



  • Hotel Dieu Hospital (for non-life threatening emergencies) – 166 Brock St. 
    • Open daily, 8 am–8 pm        
  • Kingston General Hospital (for life-threatening emergencies) – 76 Stuart St. 
    • Open 24 hours a day

Preferred Providers in Other Ontario Locations

Enter an address or city to find clinics or hospitals (to suit the level of urgency) in a specific location.  


Questions about your supplementary health (travel) plan should be directed to your student government office. Undergraduate students can contact the AMS, and graduate students can contact the SGPS.

  • Be sure to bring your printed UHIP card and a UHIP claim form
  • Find out how you will get your UHIP card
  • UHIP will only cover costs for emergency needs to the same level of coverage that would be provided for an emergency in Ontario if you have an issue in another Canadian location
  • UHIP will not cover routine care in another Canadian location
  • You will have to pay the full cost of services, and then seek the appropriate reimbursement through the UHIP claims process
  • Review UHIP coverage and responsibility of paying for overages 

  • Be sure to bring your printed UHIP card. Find out when you will get your UHIP card
  • UHIP alone is not sufficient for travel coverage outside of Canada since it only provides extremely limited coverage
  • Be sure to always combine your UHIP with a supplementary travel plan (such as that provided by your student government office – the AMS office for undergraduate/exchange students and the SGPS office for graduate students) or from a private source if necessary
  • You will have to pay the full cost of services and then seek the appropriate reimbursement through the UHIP claims process first, followed by your supplementary plan claims process