Are you looking to get involved on campus? Want to make a difference while building important skills for personal and professional success?
We recruit student volunteers, who are integral parts of QUIC activities. The QUIC works with close to 80 student volunteers each year.
- Share your knowledge and experiences with others
- Meet new people and form new friendships
- Get involved with the Queen’s community
- Develop new skills and improve old ones
- Access training opportunities with the QUIC and with Student Affairs
- Have fun!
Looking for part-time, full-time, or summer employment? Check out our working page.
English Conversation Program
Supports diverse groups of international students, post-docs, research staff, and their spouses/partners. Student volunteers meet international participants weekly to engage in language and cultural learning through English conversation in a small, upbeat, group environment. More about the English Conversation Program.
Why be a Facilitator?
- Develop transferable skills such as proactive and inclusive communication, active non-judgmental listening, delivering feedback, encouragement, and facilitation of learning
- Advance your own intercultural competency
- Gain an understanding of language use in various contexts
- Enjoy meeting people from different parts of the world and develop
- Positively contribute to the Queen’s community by supporting the international student transition experience
One academic term, 8 meetings, 1 hour each.
- Support learners in the development of their language and communication skills in both online and in-person environments
- Build a respectful, trusting, and inclusive rapport with session attendees
- Attend program orientation, training sessions, and program meetings
- Share your ideas and engage in activity planning
- Work effectively with peers and a supervisor to contribute to the team
- Participate in program feedback and surveys
- Contribute to promotional materials, such as profiles, testimonials, and videos
Successful applicants must be:
- Upper-year students currently enrolled at Queen’s University
- Fluent in English with clear speech and strong communication skills
- Able to effectively engage and encourage others while facilitating conversations, based on previous facilitation experience
- Curious, open-minded, appreciative of diversity, and respectful towards cultural differences
- Passionate about intercultural learning and motivated to develop their own intercultural competence
- Involved in campus communities, clubs, and/or associations
- Able to understand some of the challenges faced by international students experiencing a new culture
How to Apply
Students normally apply by sending their resume and a statement of interest from your Queen’s email address to QUIC@queensu.ca with the subject line "Volunteer in the ECP."
Deadline to apply to volunteer in the Winter 2024 term: January 14, 2024.
Make sure you include your phone number, program and expected graduation year, and any relevant experience (academic, extra-curricular, volunteer, and/or paid).