Many thanks to all who submitted photos!
This is an annual Contest. We invite you to view photos and student stories on Flickr.
Here are the Contest Winners for 2019:
Overall Winner: Henry Memmott: Fisherman on Inle Lake. Myanmar.
Henry is also the voted winner of Peoples’ Choice (QUIC Facebook).
- People & Culture
- 1st place: Alexa Reid: Mamazuzu. Vietnam.
- 2nd place: Nikhil Arora: Peaceful Reflections. Abu Dhabi.
- 3rd place: Sydnie D’Aoust: All in a Day’s Work. India.
- Landscape / Nature
- 1st place: Matthew Degeer: Sunrise at Lower Lake. New York.
- 2nd place: Jordan Bertagnolli: Failed Hunt. India.
- 3rd place: Gizem Ozdil: Istanbul. Turkey.
- Home away from Home
- 1st place: Nadia El Dabee: Toes in the Bay. India.
- 2nd place: Atefeh Azizitorghabeh: Snowman at John Orr Tower. Kingston.
- 3rd place: Jesse Han: Farewell. BISC at Herstmonceux, UK.
- Critical Global Issues
- 1st place: Emily Marriott: Iceberg. Iceland.
- 2nd place: Monique Sereno: Staring Contest. China.
- 3rd place: Bruna Gallo: Viewing Machine. Brazil.
Each year a panel of judges chooses 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners in each category, and one overall winner.
QUIC believes that sharing the excitement of your international experiences with others, whether you are an international student commenting on your impression of life in Canada, or a Canadian student who had an invaluable experience abroad, is an important step in the building of understanding, appreciation and enjoyment across cultures.
Terms and Conditions
This is student contest. Prior to the deadline, any student currently enrolled at Queen’s may submit 1 – 2 photos PER PERSON. Contest is open to exchange students who will be returning/have recently returned from their study at Queen’s. Students who are currently abroad are encouraged to participate. Categories are:
Contest categories are: Home away from Home, People & Culture, Landscape/Nature and Critical Global Issues.
By submitting photo(s), entrants consent that they have read and understood the terms and conditions, and release QUIC from all liability in connection with the production of photo(s).
By submitting your photo you are confirming that general consent of individuals in the image was obtained when their photo was taken by you. When choosing which photos to submit to the contest, students are advised to carefully consider issues of privacy, respect, dignity and vulnerability of individuals depicted/ involved. Description/story for each photo is collected to demonstrate photographer’s understanding of the image they have taken. Descriptions/stories will be displayed and published for winning photos. However, only photographs will be viewed by Contest judges – descriptions/stories are meant as a complementary piece that enhances the viewer’s understanding of student experience and process of photo-taking. QUIC reserves the right not to consider any entry it deems to be inappropriate. Student who entered the Contest may be asked for more information or clarification if necessary.
QUIC reserves the right to use all or part of all submitted photos in promotional materials, websites and social media.
By the means of participation in the Contest, students are giving their consent for their name, degree designation, photo description and/or the image to be publicly shared/published.
Winning photos and stories will be printed for a wall exhibit at the QUIC. Winning photos will be included in public photo album on QUIC Facebook. Shortlisted photos will be included in the People’s Choice vote on Facebook. QUIC is not responsible for low resolution, damaged, lost or late entries. Photo re-submissions from past years will not be accepted, though students are invited to participation each year. QUIC may cancel or modify this contest due to fraud, virus, or other causes beyond our control.
Previous judging panels included:
- Director of Agnes Etherington Art Gallery
- Representative/Photographer from Camera Kingston
- Executive Director of the Society of Graduate and Professional Students (SGPS)
- President of the Alma Mater Society (AMS)
- QUIC’s International Student Advisor
- An international student with background in Film Studies