There is no penalty if there is no money owing. In that case, tax returns may be submitted at any time for a previous year (or years).
UFile workshops will be available during tax season, March – April each year.
The UFile sessions are hosted by the QUIC International Student Advisor, and will be repeated till end of the tax season. For upcoming session dates, check our Events Calendar.
2021 Work from home tax credit information
Non-resident for tax purposes information
Completing a tax return can qualify you to receive immediate and future benefits.
- A sample student tax profile (pdf) on UFile could be used as a reference for your own UFile filing.
- Other free tax clinics in the region can be found on CRA Free Tax Clinics website.
- Tax information for international students on CRA website.
Beware of attempts to steal your username, password, Social Insurance Number, and other credentials!
Phone calls and emails that appear to be coming from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) are sometimes used to convince people to provide details for their accounts. CRA will NOT call and ask you to make a payment immediately. CRA WILL send you an email that asks you to login to their MyAccount system to see the contents of your message.
CRA provides information to protect yourself from people impersonating their organization or staff.
Everyone should have the following documents for each year of tax forms that they are planning to complete:
- A record of the rent paid (unless you only lived in a Queen’s residence during the tax year)
- A Social Insurance Number (SIN) or Individual Tax Number (ITN) (if you don’t have an SIN, we can help you apply for an ITN at your tax workshop).
More information about the SIN and ITN is available on the CRA website.
If you received scholarships or bursaries from Queen’s (or other Canadian sources), you should have:
If you earned income from Canadian sources you should also have:
If you have further questions regarding your tax situation, you should contact the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) directly to get help.