Improving your Academic Writing
Most students have to do some form of academic writing in their programs of study. Academic writing does not come naturally to everyone; students need to keep improving their process through feedback and skills building.
If you’re unsure how to improve your English writing, join us for Write Nights @QUIC on Tuesdays from 5:30pm-7:30pm. Here’s five things you will get from attending the workshops:
- Meet a Student Academic Success Service (SASS) EAL expert who guides you through the workshop. You can also book EAL appointments with them!
- See examples of English academic writing by attending the workshops. Research shows that seeing and examining academic writing helps you write better yourself!
- Learn how to shift your mindset to think about the reader when you’re writing. We examine how grammar and sentence structure errors affect your ability to communicate your message.
- Feel more confident in the choices you are making when writing. This process will help you have conversations with your TA, professor, or supervisor about their feedback.
- Meet other students from a wide variety of disciplines and learn about their writing process.
Come try out our upcoming sessions:
March 3: Writing transitions
March 17: Writing critically
March 31: Speaking in academic presentations
There are also lots of other SASS services to suit your academic needs: online resources, workshops, drop-ins, EAL support, and appointments. Services are free, confidential, and run by trained experts. Also check out the Academics page on our website for more information.