UFile workshops are now available in the QUIC Zoom Room https://zoom.us/j/925151345
Please join us in the QUIC Zoom Room at 10 am (install Zoom then enter meeting ID 92501510345).
The UFile Zoom Room is hosted by the QUIC International Student Advisor, and will be repeated on March 31, April 3 and April 13, 2020.
Completing a tax return can qualify you to receive immediate and future benefits.
The Canada Revenue Agency offers a series of videos that can help international students understand their rights and responsibilities with regard to taxes in Canada.
Other free tax clinics in the region can be found on CRA Free Tax Clinics website.
To file your tax return using UFile online, go to UFile website.
Beware of attempts to steal your username, password, Social Insurance Number, and other credentials!
Phone calls and emails that appear to be coming from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) are sometimes used to convince people to provide details for their accounts. CRA will NOT call and ask you to make a payment immediately. CRA WILL send you an email that asks you to login to their MyAccount system to see the contents of your message.
The deadline to pay taxes has been extended due to the COVID-19 pandemic to June 1st. After this date, if money is owing, interest will be charged.
There is no penalty if there is no money owing. In that case, tax returns may be submitted at any time for a previous year (or years).
- A record of the rent paid (unless you only lived in a Queen’s residence during the tax year)
- A Social Insurance Number (SIN) or Individual Tax Number (ITN) (if you don’t have an SIN, we can help you apply for an ITN at your tax workshop).
More information about the SIN and ITN is available on the CRA website.
If you received scholarships or bursaries from Queen’s (or other Canadian sources), you should have:
- T4A – Scholarship and Bursary income (Issued by Queen’s to the mailing address you have on SOLUS by the end of February, if applicable)
Scholarships and bursaries are non-taxable (for students).
If you need a T4A from a previous year, you can request it by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org from your Queen’s e-mail account. More information is available on the Student Awards office website.
If you earned income from Canadian sources you should also have:
- T4 – Employment Income (Issued by your employer by the end of February, if applicable)
- T3 or T5 – Investment or Interest Income (Issued by your bank by the end of February, if applicable)
If you have further questions regarding your tax situation, you should contact the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) directly to get help.