Search Type
Categories Menu


QUIC offers Income Tax Clinics (details on time and required documents) during March and April where volunteers assist students in individual appointments. We will start taking appointments on March 2nd. To schedule your appointment please email the QUIC International Student Advisor (please provide your contact phone number in your request email). We do tax return for you!

To find other free tax clinic in the region, check CRA Free Tax Clinic website

Students who want to learn how to submit their income tax file themselves on the UFile platform please CLICK HERE FOR THE SCHEDULE OF THE QUIC UFILE WORKSHOPS.

The Canada Revenue Agency offers a series of videos that can help international students understand their rights and responsibilities with regard to taxes in Canada.

Tax information for international students on CRA website – click here.

Beware of attempts to steal your username, password, Social Insurance Number, and other credentials!

Phone calls and emails that appear to be coming from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) are sometimes used to convince people to provide details for their accounts. CRA will NOT call and ask you to make a payment immediately. CRA WILL send you an email that asks you to login to their MyAccount system to see the contents of your message.

CRA provides information to protect yourself from people impersonating their organization or staff.

Completing a tax return can qualify you to receive immediate and future benefits.

Taxes owing should be paid by April 30.   After that date, if money is owing, interest will be charged.

There is no penalty if there is no money owing.   In that case, tax returns may be submitted at any time for a previous year or years. 

For students, some of the information will be available through SOLUS, while some information will be sent to the mailing address that you have on file with Queen’s.   That means it is important to keep your address up-to-date and to save these documents when they arrive.

Everyone should have the following documents for each year of tax forms that they are planning to complete:

  • A record of the rent paid  (unless you only lived in a Queen’s residence during the tax year)
  • A Social Insurance Number (SIN) or Individual Tax Number (ITN) (if you don’t have an SIN, we can help you apply for an ITN at your tax workshop).

More information about the SIN and ITN is available on the CRA website.

All students should have the following documents for each year of tax forms that they are planning to complete:

  • T2202  – Tuition and Education Amount  (Available from SOLUS by the end of February each year)

If you received scholarships or bursaries from Queen’s (or other Canadian sources), you should have:

  • T4A  – Scholarship and Bursary income (Issued by Queen’s to the mailing address you have on SOLUS by the end of February, if applicable)

Scholarships and bursaries are non-taxable (for students).

If you need a T4A from a previous year, you can request it by sending an e-mail to from your Queen’s e-mail account.  More information is available on the Student Awards office website.

If you earned income from Canadian sources you should also have:

  • T4  – Employment Income (Issued by your employer by the end of February, if applicable)  
  • T3 or T5  – Investment or Interest Income (Issued by your bank by the end of February, if applicable)


Further Questions?
If you have further questions regarding your tax situation, you should contact CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) directly to get help.