Search Type
Categories Menu

Crisis, Counselling and Support

Remember that if you are having difficulty, there are people in Kingston who will try to help. All you have to do is to contact them. The following is a list of crisis centres and phone lines and the services they provide. If you are not sure which one to speak to, contact the service that you think is most appropriate. If another service can better assist you, they will refer you to  the right people.
In Distress?
Telephone Aid Line Kingston (TALK)
TALK is a distress information and befriending line. TALK will listen to your problems, whatever they may be. With TALK, you do not have to give your name and everything you say is completely confidential. The people at this number will also provide you with information about other community services. Their hours of operation are 7:00 pm to 3:00 am every night. Call 613-544-1771.
Student Affairs
Queen’s Student Affairs office has prepared a document listing available support services.
Support services for Queen’s students in distress

AMS Peer Support Centre
Provided by trained student volunteers, the Peer Support Centre can offer social and personal support.   Their office is in JDUC room 034 and can be reached at: 613-533-6000 ext. 75111.

Stress Management
We can all get stressed from time to time, so it’s important to know how to manage your stress properly.   You can experience both good and bad stress when it comes to adjusting to a new city, country and academic program. Here are few easy exercises you can do to help lower your stress level.

In Cases of Sexual Assault or Abuse
Sexual Assault Centre
This centre offers confidential counselling to survivors of sexual assault, sexual harassment and child sexual abuse. On-going one-on-one counselling, group counselling and self-defense courses are available. Call the 24-hour crisis line at 613-544-6424.
Queen’s Human Rights Office
Telephoning the Human Rights office at 613-533-6886 will allow you to access the Anti-Racism Coordinator, the Sexual Harassment Coordinator, Sexual Harassment Advisors and an Officer who will deal with Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual concerns. Sexual harassment is any unwanted or unasked-for attention of a sexual nature. Coordinators will take formal action whereas advisors will most often give information to assist you in acting yourself.

When in Need of Counselling Support

Student Counselling Services
Call 613-533-2893 to make an appointment. Offers a wide range of services including skills development workshops and cross-cultural counselling. Offered mainly through the Student Wellness Services in Mitchell Hall in addition to counsellors on-site and available specifically in Queen’s Residences, the School of Graduate Studies, and some other academic faculties.
Frontenac Community Mental Health & Addiction Services
Call 613-546-1758 if you want to stop drinking or doing drugs. An appointment will be set up with a counsellor. The counselling can begin subject to certain conditions. The Centre is located at 303 Bagot Street, Suite 300.
Queen’s Chaplain
The chaplain offers personal counselling and support to you and your family. You can discuss problems, concerns or crises in a personal and confidential manner the Chaplain. To contact the Chaplain, please call 613-533-2186.
Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC)
Advice and support is available for you and your family members when you need assistance. Canadian students are welcome as well. The Centre is located on the first floor of the JDUC. Please call 613-533-2604.
Kingston Community Counselling Centre
Provides individual and group counselling to women who have been involved in abusive domestic relationships. Provides cross-cultural counselling and education for minority and immigrant women. An outreach worker is sometimes available to provide court support. The phone number is 613-549-7850.
Education on Queer Issues Project (EQuIP)
The Education on Queer Issues Project, under the AMS Social Issues Commission of Queen’s University is dedicated to lobbying for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans-identified rights as well as working to inform and educate the Queen’s and Kingston communities on queer issues. Throughout the academic year, EQuIP organizes social and political events, with the goal of raising awareness of queer issues as well as providing a friendly environment for queer and queer-positive students, faculty, staff and alumni to gather and socialize. EQuIP is located in the “Grey House” at 51 Bader Lane. The phone number is: 613-533-3154 or you can e-mail them at:
Residence Dons and Residence Life Coordinators
Dons in residence are senior students or academic staff who are willing and available to offer a sympathetic ear to students making the adjustments to university life, as well as referring individuals to sources of academic, financial, medical, or personal help. If you are in residence, speak to a Don or visit the Residence Life Office in Victoria Hall or call 613-533-6790.
Sexual Assault Centre
Offers confidential counselling to survivors of sexual assault, sexual harassment and child sexual abuse. The Centre is also concerned with public education, research and legal reform. They provide accompaniment to the hospital, doctor, or police if you want. The 24 hour crisis line is 613-544-6424 and the business line is 613-545-0762.

If Someone in your Family has a Disabilitythese resources may be of assistance:

Student Accessibility Services, Queen’s University, 613-533-6467

Ministry of Community and Social Services, 613-545-0539

Canadian National Institute for the Blind, 613-542-4975

Canadian Hearing Society, 613-544-1927 or TTY, 613-544-2765

Kingston Access Bus, 613-542-2512

Ban Righ Centre
The Ban Righ Centre is a resource centre open to all, but caters especially to women who are returning to full or part-time education. Drop in or make an appointment for information, support, referrals, financial assistance or academic advice. Located at 32 Bader Lane, the telephone number is: 613-533-2976.
Sexual Health Resource Centre
The Sexual Health Resources Centre is on the 2nd floor of the John Deutsch University Centre at the corner of Union St. & University Ave. The telephone number is: 613-533-2959.   It:

  • provides confidential, non-judgemental information and referrals for sexual health, sexually transmitted infections, birth control, and alternatives if pregnant
  • sells non-prescription safer sex and birth control products at very low prices

Career Services
Both on-campus and off-campus jobs are posted on the numerous boards and there is a wide selection of directories and pamphlets about career opportunities. It is located in Gordon Hall (Across Union Street from QUIC). Phone: 613-533-2992.
Student Multicultural Clubs
There are many cultural organizations that operate in Kingston and at Queen’s. These groups get together for educational and social events. It is a good way to make friends. To find a group of your choice, visit the QUIC Associated Groups web page or the AMS Clubs page.
Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC)
The Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC) is a meeting place and resource centre for International and Canadian students. There are a number of services and programs which serve their needs and promote an internationally informed and cross-culturally sensitive university community. There is a Resource Centre which includes books, periodicals and audio-visuals on international education, cross-cultural communication and work and study outside Canada. A lounge, table-tennis table, kitchen and a hall are available for meetings and relaxing in. QUIC is on the second floor of the JDUC. Phone: 613-533-2604.

Further Questions?
If you have further questions, after reviewing the information above, advising is available (without an appointment) from the International Student Advisers at the Queen’s University International Centre from Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 4:00pm.

<–   Back to  Living in Kingston Guide