Volunteering in the English Conversation Program
We are no longer accepting volunteers for the Fall. Students who are interested in volunteering this Winter please email your statement of interest to QUIC.
English Conversation Group
meets every Thursday, 5:30-7:00 pm at QUIC
The English Conversation Group is intended for participants with intermediate level of English language skills, who are looking to practice and to learn some new expressions. Two leading facilitators are assisted by peer volunteers who chat with international students and help with group activities. The meetings are informal and fun!
- Get involved with international community at Queen’s
- Share your knowledge and experiences with others
- Excellent opportunity for intercultural learning to build your own intercultural competence
- Skills development: communication, empathy, facilitation and language learning
- Satisfaction from helping others to have a positive experience in our community
- Access to training and expertise available at the QUIC
General Volunteer Requirements
- Must be a fluent English speaker
- Queen’s student or alumni with excellent listening skills
- A friendly, open, and committed individual able to give 2 hours of their time weekly
- Strong communication skills with ability to engage participants
- Professionalism: Adherence to program guidelines at all times
- Appreciation of diversity and respect towards cultural differences
- Some intercultural skills, experience and awareness
- Some understanding of challenges related to newcomers’ transition into a new environment
The Group is the recipient of the Queen’s University Human Rights Office Initiatives Award in recognition of its long standing contributions to community building and support for international students. In 2013, two Group volunteers were recognized for their outstanding contribution to the community by the Kingston United Way Volunteer Centre.