Search Type
Important update from the Principal to faculty, staff, and students Read the March 16 update from the Principal...
IMPORTANT NOTICE Up-to-date COVID-19 information Click Here
Categories Menu

After Queen’s

When your time at Queen’s comes to an end you must consider what you will do next.   Whether you have been studying, working, researching or accompanying someone doing any of these things, there is a change ahead.   This section of our website is meant to provide you with information, resources and answers to some frequently asked questions about “What comes next?”

Information about staying in Canada to work after your time at Queen’s can be found at “Working in Canada“.

Health Insurance for Temporary Workers
Graduates/Workers in most of Canada qualify for health insurance through the province where they settle and work. A Post-Graduation Work Permit will qualify you for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) as long as you hold a work permit valid for at least six months that allows you to work in Canada, and you also have a formal agreement in place to work full-time for an employer situated in Ontario which sets out the employer’s name, your occupation, and states that you will be working for no less than six consecutive months.

More information is available through the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care or the applicable provincial organization.

If you do not qualify for provincial health insurance coverage you should STRONGLY CONSIDER purchasing private health insurance.

The Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC) cannot recommend one insurance provider over another but can provide a partial list of companies (in alphabetical order) that can offer coverage. (All telephone numbers are toll-free from within Canada)

Please note that insurance coverage (and cost) will vary. Be sure to research your options.

Staying in Canada to Study
If you have a valid study permit you are eligible to apply in Canada to extend your status as a student.   See our “Studying in Canada” page for more information.

Staying in Canada to Immigrate
Immigrating means applying for Permanent Residency in Canada.   Applying for permanent residency can take a long time.   The International Student Advisers at the Queen’s University International Centre can answer some questions about the process but do not focus on permanent residency.

Please begin your research with Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada’s “Immigrating to Canada” page. noting that most students and graduates apply through either the Federal Skilled Worker Class, the Canadian Experience Class or a Provincial Nominee Program like Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program.

The Express Entry application management system determines who can apply through the Federal Skilled Worker and the Canadian Experience Classes.  Provincial nominee programs can select applicants through Express Entry or directly.

Shipping Belongings out of Canada

It is not uncommon to have collected many goods during a sojourn in Canada. While it may be easier to leave some of them in Canada, there may be items that you want to bring home but cannot fit within your luggage allowance. Please note that there are many options available to you. We have included a few here for your convenience, but it is a good idea to do some of your own research.

International Parcel shipping is available with Canada Post. The two main options are Surface Parcel and Air Parcel. Surface Parcel shipping is estimated to take 4 to 6 weeks. Air Parcel shipping is estimated to take 6-10 business days. These estimates are NOT guarantees but rather general guides. Canada Post’s International Parcel page provides information on both services and links to costs and country-specific information.

It is important to consider the laws of the country you will be sending goods to. Taxes, tariffs or duties may need to be paid when shipping.

It is a good idea to search for other shipping options to ensure that you are getting the best price and service possible. Another potential option is Allports International.

Stay Connected
As you graduate from Queen’s, you are joining a vibrant and engaged network of more than 140,000 Queen’s alumni living in 156 countries. You already have a global alumni network! The Queen’s University Alumni Association and the Department of Alumni Relations provide you with benefits, programs, events, and activities to keep you connected to Queen’s and to each other. Why not check out what is available to you, as an alumnus, on the Alumni website? QUIC wants to stay connected with you as well! We are always happy to hear from former students – please stay in touch.