Obtaining proof or opting-out of UHIP
UHIP stands for the University Health Insurance Plan, a mandatory health plan that provides primary medical coverage for most doctor and hospital services in Ontario and a plan administered at most Ontario universities. Opting-out of UHIP is only available under specific circumstances and timelines as described in the UHIP Exemption process 2018-19. Otherwise, UHIP is mandatory.
With your net id and password, enter the UHIP Portal below (a 5 minute process), which will allow you to:
Obtain and print documents related to your UHIP coverage:
- Proof of coverage (a form to be presented for each clinic/hospital visit)
- An information page to help guide you where to go for healthcare, what is covered, etc.
Or if applicable:
- Decline or revise your coverage (if eligible and within the first 45 days of each term only)
- Add dependents to the health plan
- Make an inquiry to the UHIP Administrator based on your specific circumstances.
Students automatically enrolled in UHIP will receive this same messaging by email mid-August and/or mid-December (titled: UHIP Fee – Action Required) to provide direct access to the UHIP Portal prior to arrival/return. Keep that email accessible so you can always gain quick access to your proof of coverage or return here if a re-print is necessary.