Queen's University Queen's University
IMPORTANT NOTICE Up-to-date COVID-19 information Click Here

Income Taxes

There is no penalty if there is no money owing. In that case, tax returns may be submitted at any time for a previous year (or years). 

UFile workshops will be available during tax season, March – April each year.

The UFile sessions are hosted by the QUIC International Student Advisor, and will be repeated till end of the tax season. For upcoming session dates, check our Events Calendar.

2021 Work from home tax credit information

Non-resident for tax purposes information

Completing a tax return can qualify you to receive immediate and future benefits.

Beware of attempts to steal your username, password, Social Insurance Number, and other credentials!

Phone calls and emails that appear to be coming from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) are sometimes used to convince people to provide details for their accounts. CRA will NOT call and ask you to make a payment immediately. CRA WILL send you an email that asks you to login to their MyAccount system to see the contents of your message.

CRA provides information to protect yourself from people impersonating their organization or staff.

Everyone should have the following documents for each year of tax forms that they are planning to complete:

  • A record of the rent paid  (unless you only lived in a Queen’s residence during the tax year)
  • A Social Insurance Number (SIN) or Individual Tax Number (ITN) (if you don’t have an SIN, we can help you apply for an ITN at your tax workshop).

More information about the SIN and ITN is available on the CRA website.

All students should have the following documents for each year of tax forms that they are planning to complete:

  • T2202  – Tuition and Education Amount  (Available from SOLUS by the end of February each year)

If you received scholarships or bursaries from Queen’s (or other Canadian sources), you should have:

See Documents
  • T4A  – Scholarship and Bursary income (Issued by Queen’s to the mailing address you have on SOLUS by the end of February, if applicable)

Scholarships and bursaries are non-taxable (for students).

If you need a T4A from a previous year, you can request it by sending an e-mail to awards@queensu.ca from your Queen’s e-mail account.  More information is available on the Student Awards office website.

If you earned income from Canadian sources you should also have:

See Documents
  • T4  – Employment Income (Issued by your employer by the end of February, if applicable)  
  • T3 or T5  – Investment or Interest Income (Issued by your bank by the end of February, if applicable)

Further Questions?
If you have further questions regarding your tax situation, you should contact the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) directly to get help.