Acculturation and Transition to Life and Academic Success (ATLAS)
Information is tentative and may change.
Are you an international student coming to Queen’s for the first time?
Will you be a first year undergraduate student at Queen’s in September 2015?
Would you like a “head start” to adjust to life and studies at Queen’s?
If you answered YES to these questions, then the ATLAS program may be for you!
What is ATLAS?
- A one-day program held on Queen’s campus, to help international undergraduate students adjust to and prepare for academic success at Queen’s
When does ATLAS happen?
- Pre-program reception on Saturday, September 5th, 2015, 7 – 9 PM (optional attendance)
- All day program on Sunday, September 6th, from 9 – 3:30 PM (required attendance) (ends before university-wide orientation activities begin)
How much does it cost to participate?
- The program cost has not yet been set. If you are selected to participate, a set amount will be charged to your student account in order to hold your spot. A portion will be returned to your student account after you attend the program.
- This cost includes: a free light dinner on Saturday (if you choose to attend); one day early move-in (for those living in a Queen’s residence for the academic year); the day of programming, as well as a light breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Sunday.
How will I benefit if I participate?
- The program aims to support your cultural, social, and academic adjustment to Queen’s
- By participating in the program, you will…
- Meet and start to develop friendships with both first year and upper year international and domestic students at Queen’s
- Learn about academic and library resources as well as meet academic support and library staff available for your academic success
- Learn about healthy lifestyle choices on campus that will support your academic success
- Learn how to recognize signs of your own mental health or stress and meet people who can support any personal and academic challenges you may face
- Be encouraged and supported to maintain your identity and culture while engaging with diverse social and academic communities at Queen’s
- Begin to feel a sense of belonging and community at Queen’s and a sense of confidence that you can succeed personally, socially and academically
There are limited spaces.
Registration is not yet open.
The Queen’s ATLAS Program
Meeting your diverse adjustment and transition needs…